Sunday, January 13, 2013

Culinary Confessional

I honestly have no clue on where to start, do I go all the way back to the being or start with here and now. Do you the reader really want to be taken back to the 90s where it all began? Do you just want to be kept in the loop of the present? Fuck it, going back and forth about it won't do me any good so we take it back a bit and fast forward.  So pretty much as long as I've been alive food has been my passion, when I was about 4 my mother allowed me to pull a chair to the stove and stir the pot and it was a smash. Though technically my mother cooked the food I was proud of my stirring duty and when my family enjoyed the meal I took the credit and if it didn't, you guessed it, I blamed it on mom lol.

By the time I was in high school cooking was the main thing on my mind, I watched Food Network like crazy and even catered for the neighborhood. I was accepted into tech my 11th grade year which is a big deal as 150 usually apply for that class but only 20 are selected. I was one of the lucky few. I then was in the hands of a man by the title: Winslow. R Goodier, better known as Chef; who later became my mentor.  He was an old school throw plates and make you feel like shit chefs and I LOVED him. He would do all sort of shit black out and not remember. He taught me my "1,000 mile" stare and allowed my to be in my hostile rant, which usually consisted of me wanting to slice and dice annoyances that disrupted my cooking flow. He prepared me for Johnson and Wales University(JWU), the place of fuckery and shenanigans. We still speak quite frequently as he is one of my biggest fans.(Thanks Chef)

So, continuing on to JWU. I was accepted and don't get me wrong it's a great school but anyone and their grandma will be accepted, luckily for me the academics weren't why I applied. I spent a year, though its usually two, taking 9 day culinary labs along with general studies. I partied and slacked off , but my marks remained high. I have my degree in both Culinary and Food Service Management with a concentration in Events.

Here and now, I currently just moved back to NYC from Miami. I love the city its vibrant and COLD. I'm in the nations food  Mecca trying to make a name for myself. I don't know where I'm going or who I'm going to me. All I know is that my  passion had lead me here and I'm scared of the outcome where it good or bad, that is my true confession.

No comments:

Post a Comment